Kahal Chaverim, The Congregation for Humanistic Judaism of New Jersey is a growing and vibrant community of secular Jewish and interfaith families, couples and singles who celebrate non-theistic Jewish culture and history. Rather than focusing on the supernatural, members believe in taking responsibility for their own actions and doing the right thing to make the world a better place.
Kahal Chaverim offers like-minded members a multitude of opportunities to learn, reflect, socialize and link their values with their actions. Our services for Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot and Shabbat enable us to examine how we are living those values. Our Passover Seder, a Hanukkah party and Purim carnival bring members together in celebration of our people’s cultural heritage. Our thriving Sunday School and its B’nai Mitzvah program, as well as our enlightening adult education programs, enable us to enrich the minds of both our younger and older members.
The congregation was established in 1999 as an affiliate of the Society for Humanistic Judaism (www.shj.org) and celebrated its 15th anniversary year in 2014! We are one of over 30 SHJ affiliate chapter in North America.
If you are a prospective member or just interested in finding out more about Kahal Chaverim, please join us at one of our upcoming events. Email our membership chair for information: email@example.com.
- We take pride in our identity as Jews and in the history and achievements of the Jewish people. We see Jewish history, like all history, as a purely human and natural phenomenon.
- We find spiritual satisfaction in secular celebrations of Jewish holidays, study and discussion of Jewish and broader human issues, and action for social justice.
- We believe that people determine the conduct of their own lives and must take full responsibility for their behavior.
- We believe that only people can solve human problems. We do not use worshipful language or invoke the name of a deity in our rituals or services.
- In resolving ethical dilemmas, whether personal or social, we seek solutions that respect the dignity and self-esteem of every human being.
Kahal Chaverim is fortunate to have an active membership and dynamic board officers and committee chairs. All of us at Kahal Chaverim pitch in to make the congregation a success.
2016-2017 Board Officers:
- President: Doug Kudler
- Vice President: Charlie Miller
- Treasurer: Mitch Grossbach
- Secretary: Lynn Laffey
2016-2017 Committee Chairs:
- Adult Ed: Sandy Miller
- Ceremonial Leader: Rob Agree
- Holidays: Ann Wallach and Jeri Gottlieb
- Membership: Steve Shaw
- Publicity: Jason Gottlieb
- Shabbat/Havdalah: Stephanie Zenna
- SHJ Liaison: Susan Herschman
- Sunday School: Jason Meisner and Blaine Riddle
- Website: Steve Guberman
Kahal Chaverim prides itself on offering great programs and services while keeping our membership dues reasonable and affordable. Your support and generosity will help us to build upon our success and achieve such objectives as improving our Sunday School curriculum, sponsoring excellent adult ed programing, and helping when we have members in need. If you are able to support us, please send donations to:
P.O. Box 238
Mt. Freedom, NJ 07970
Note that we are a 501(c)(3) organization and any contributions are tax-deductible. Thank you!